Mend and Make Do

 AKA: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle


I developed skills at sewing, mending and altering since my clothes were hand-me-downs growing up. I have serious serious guilt over buying brand new clothes! (except under garments) This past year I went on a work trip to Moab and forgot PJs. I was just told by my boss we got a cost of living raise. I thought of buying something new as celebrating a raise so it was ok. I took this picture and called Shawn since it was a big "to-do" for me! Yes, I bought a Tarot deck too. (Still on the fence about the vibe of that deck...its hit or miss) 

  I love managing and being mindful of money and resources. This is who I am as a person and it extends to my work self too. When I was first starting off in network engineering I found this page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Engineer and the Oath of Engineers:

"Before joining, members must take an oath to abide by a code of ethics called the "Obligation of an Engineer":

I am an Engineer. In my profession, I take deep pride. To it, I owe solemn obligations.

As an engineer, I pledge to practice integrity and fair dealing, tolerance and respect, and to uphold devotion to the standards and dignity of my profession. I will always be conscious that my skill carries with it the obligation to serve humanity by making the best use of the Earth's precious wealth.

As an engineer, I shall participate in none but honest enterprises. When needed, my skill and knowledge shall be given, without reservation, for the public good. In the performance of duty, and in fidelity to my profession, I shall give my utmost.

— "Obligation of an Engineer"[2][3]"

Like daaaang it's Good! Gets my heart fired up big time. 

  I am getting ready for a trip and cleaned up my phone from pictures. I noticed a little trend of "mending and making do" and I wanted to share. They usually come out of being frustrated with how something has fallen to the wayside or not functioning how I need it to!

First Frustration: Not finding a completely dark cave to sleep during a random/hormone related migraine! 

Cornice for Blackout curtains:

The darkest spot in the house and it still had light coming in. I only just moved in with Shawn so it took a year or so for this need to rear its head. I am grateful I rarely suffer migraines. 


Anyone that has ever had a migraine knows this sliver of light can represent pain and anguish. 

Time to draw shit up, grab fabric from my stash and scraps of wood. I think I bought hanging hardware only. 

There is a chicken coop just on the other side and I love their egg laying songs. Some might not call it a "song", but I do. It soothes my soul. I cant wait to have my farm. 



Why not use some scraps and make a matching table cover? 

Its DAAAARRRk. Shawn just realized how amazing such a thing is.


Faded Boots: 
Shawn gave me them to me as a gift one year. They were a dusty pink but they became tinted with mud and grime and made me sad to put them on.  Seriously, my heart sank and I wanted to stop wearing them. I likely had an extra cup of coffee and thought "fuck it. I'm painting them". I love how they turned out and they are my favorite :) If you dont know Palladium shoes...
 faded and sad :(


Poppin Pink! Acrylic paint and water, easy






Oven Mitt: judge me all you want, this is a $1 store mitt and was looking rough. I HATE throwing things out so I added patches. This is fine. I take a little pride in being frugal. I want land and farm animals one day. For me, this requires sacrifice and keeping it real. 



Scrap Wood Quilt Block: There is definitely a theme with aesthetic and ideas. I just noticed this...



I wanted one of these for a million years. I found the perfect piece of scrap wood and painted it. Boom. Making do.

Plant pots: Pots without holes drive me insane. These came back from the Sunflower house after I left them with a "plant person". That human was not a plant person. All but 3-4 plants died. :( Moving on...
How have I never used a ceramic drill bit? The bit was inexpensive and now I don't need to thrift only pots with holes. This opens up my options to a whole cornucopia of pots!



Rabbits Enclosure: Reinforcements and side door. All scraps and curtain hanging hardware I found in random parts drawers. The reinforcements were needed since they broke out a few times and tore up my meditation mat (that I made!) I will show that mend after this. I used flooring that Shawn had and made a horrible door. Onyx sat at the side panel all the time asking for pets when I was in my spot. I HAD to make a door. 


Shawn cut circular depressions for the feet of the pen to sit into. I laid everything out and taped it. I gave him permission to do one thing on this project. He is much better at carpentry projects so I need to set boundaries!   

Hey the hardware happened to fit in the groove perfect! right on! 

My sweet animals :) 
The door is the worst! I had to take a chunk off the bottom corner to get it to fit. Shawn is the real carpenter in the house. Thankfully one of us is! 



Meditation "Shrine": The main floor living room has no electronic screens allowed. (maybe phone, occasional laptop) Just plants, animals, sage, incense, lounging, chatting. resting. I use this space often throughout the day. I journal and read, sometimes stare off into space. its cool. 

Side note: I really wish people would quit fucking suggesting I MEDITATE more. That's literally most of my day when not working. I have no friends. I sit everyday alone, daydreaming and making things. Its always complete strangers that suggest this so they will get a blank stare from me. From now on I will start responding with "fuck meditation" just to mess with them. All of my favorite soothing hobbies are also meditations: gardening, art and sewing. 

My rabbits were mad I went out of town. They busted loose and dug holes in my favorite velvet mat! Tha heck!? I covered it with an iron on patch I made:

This piece is super weird since its made from only scraps of wood I found in the garage! :) 
 



I used melamine for the top and shelf:



Saving things to be re-used:




Shawn has suggested I need to make a swear jar and quit saying fuck. I will not do either. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sickness Meditations: Touch, Everything is Art

1,000 Suns, Breaking Cycles, 3 Fates Tattoo

Make things: even if you think its shitty